Monday, June 27, 2011

Storms~










We were gathered for an afternoon on the beach at my friend’s home on the ocean. It was beautiful hot Florida day. Perfect in every way. The ocean was amazing with it's radiant shades of blue with small waves crashing the shore, above us the sky was blue and clear. The kids were in the pool and on the beach. Tommy was overcoming his fear of water and holding his breath, putting his head under. Big stuff for “Little Man” I sat in a chair and thought what a perfect day.  Around me, friends, extended family, relationships, encouragement, and thoughtfulness.  What a treat after a very busy couple of weeks for us.

When suddenly about three o’clock a storm came swopping in from no-where. I looked up and the most amazing shades of  gray, and black loomed around the house, cascading the ocean on each side also. Suddenly even the color of the ocean changed. It was a perfect picture of the storms of life.  None of us saw it coming and it sideswiped the rest of the afternoon for us. It gave me a picture and reached into my heart the passage from: Job 37:14

Job 37:14
New Living Translation (NLT)
  “Pay attention to this, Job.
      Stop and consider the wonderful miracles of GOD”

I am arrested in my tracks in the moment to STOP and consider this miracle in front of my eyes. I grab my camera to capture the breathtaking colors swopping in over us. My friend is trying to get me out of harms way, but I sense a reflection in the moment and pay attention to that still small voice inside, urging me to stop for the moment.

Then in the message it reads:
A Terrible Beauty Streams from God
 14-18 "Job, are you listening? Have you noticed all this?
   Stop in your tracks! Take in God's miracle-wonders!
Do you have any idea how God does it all,
   how he makes bright lightning from dark storms,
How he piles up the cumulus clouds—
   all these miracle-wonders of a perfect Mind?
Why, you don't even know how to keep cool
   on a sweltering hot day,
So how could you even dream
   of making a dent in that hot-tin-roof sky?











In this hot, steamy Florida day that was perfect in every way. I am arrested to look at the storm in the natural around me and how he the supernatural, orchestrating God gets our attention in a storm, if we will STOP and pray attention to the moment. It’s easy to get caught up in the EVERYDAY that floods our minds and hearts and not notice him in the middle of it.
Four days later I was at the same place and again the very same scenario unfolded at almost the same time. I could not help but ask and say: “ Lord, I am paying attention to the you in the storm around me. I am stopping in my tracks to be aware and awake to your hand. “
In the hard stuff around us, our God’s hand is very present.  (Even if we don’t see it)
This past week, a couple of storms gave me a “picture”  reminder of his very active and powerful ‘moving” right there in the middle of my day. I am listening and noticing the very present God who always has me covered and protected in the storm, and you to!

3 comments:

  1. such a great reminder! and I love this version of the verses in Job - a perfect accompaniment to your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often look to see how message version says the passage, the language grabs me often. It was a beautiful picture and I am grateful I paid attention to what he was saying and doing. Hugs~ I missed you Saturday night. :-)

    ReplyDelete